How can we improve PowerPoint Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

URLs to open specific slides (deep links)

It would be extremely useful to send a link with parameters and have PowerPoint online jump directly to the specified slide. I understand that means each slide would potentially require a GUID incase ordering etc changed.

99 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tolly shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Evgeny Zaritovskiy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google Slides do this - and this is very convenient. You send people links over emails or chat, and they can open exact slide

• MonicaS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to open external links in powerpoint in the same window since the user experience would be much better than to open them in new window. That way a presenter can open the powerpoint online and use browser back and fourth in a smooth way when visiting links to e.g. youtube etc. It can also very efficient be used as a fast prototyping tool testing interactions etc. A tool that everyone already has. Please develop fast :-)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very useful for us - we use PowerPoint for user guides, and linking to a step (slide) in the process is critical for us.

I need to bookmark the slide my manager created showing our quarterly goals. I don't really care about the rest of the document, but I need to constantly refer to the goals. I can't believe that this is not supported.

• MT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to send a single slide is hugely important in terms of efficiency when either (1) there are multiple contributors to a deck and you want the recipient to be able to edit or (2) you want to share the deck, but restrict the content to specific slides.

• Jared Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not an optimal solution, but you can do this with links in the following format:

https://mydomain/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc={(SharePoint Item ID)}&wdSlideId=(PPT Slide ID)&action=embedview

The trick is the wdSlideId parameter, which you can obtain by running this in the VBA Immediate window in PPT with the target slide selected:

Print ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange.SlideID

Heres an Scenario

I have a Slide deck of 100 slides for a USER GUIDE with screenshots of a new tool.. i would like to be able to link directly to a section or to a individual slide, so for example i can send a mail to a group of users that need to see a specific section of the 100 slide deck.. let say slide 50-55.. currently im able to do it but if i add or remove something from the slide deck i will brake all the links

• Abhi P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now you can only hyperlink to a url. In powerpoint you can hyperlink to another slide in your powerpoint. Unfortunately you can not do this in powerpoint online.

• Thibault Dargeou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently Hypertext links on Images are not supported. please add support for Hypertext links on any object put on a presentation

• John Stilwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would very useful to be able to select the slides one wants to share and send only these by e-mail. I know there are ribbons that have this feature, but it is not included in the common power point.

• EF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would act like a slide bookmark. We have a master slide deck (think 100 slides) which sums up other smaller slide decks (think 10 slides apiece). However, if the master was closed, I would need to jump back into my section. Or I only want to review my section with my team, and could jump right there. It would help if I could jump to exactly the right slide. Slide Titles often aren't specific enough to allow for that.

• Yuxiang [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Tolly, this is a really interesting idea:)
    We'll take it into consideration, may I know more about in which scenario you'll need this feature?

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be good enough if you can just specify ONE slide as the slide that the PPT would be opened to.

something like: docs.mycompanyusingOffice365.com/personal/myname/Documents/Shared with Everyone/LotsOfSlides.pptx#4
    would open up to slide number 4.

it's really annoying to have to do a save-as on a deck and then get rid of all the slides I don't want to share with a particular person - before finally sending it. It would be great if I could select the slides I want to share with someone and then right click (or something) and choose the option to email the slides to them

Feedback and Knowledge Base