How can we improve PowerPoint Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Make it so GIF files can play.

It would be good if GIF files can play in online presentations.

306 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Don shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feature request! We are excited to announce that animated gif files can now playback in slide show in PowerPoint Online!

To give it a try, you may add your animated gif file to a presentation via “Insert → Picture”, and then present your slide via “View → From Current Slide” (or, “From Beginning”, if you prefer). The animated gif should play in your presentation now!

Enjoy, and please keep voting on the features in your wish list :)

Thanks!
    PowerPoint Team

59 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My saved GIF files created through Powerpoint do not animate in any program I have attempted to use to test operation to include all Windows web browsers (Chrome, Firefox & MS Edge), Windows File Explorer, and 3rd party apps GIF viewers. Only Powerpoint allows the file to play as designed...I have combed through Youtube without locating a solution.

GIFs not playing for me on online PowerPoint presentation - Chrome Version 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Lea E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for finally adding this feature that was REALLY important !!
        Thanks again really!!!

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can play music online on html in html code without slow loading speeds on mobile phones.

Actually the gifs do work on PowerPoint Online if you know how to put them. Btw if you do not know how to add a gif you just download your gif then you go to Insert then click on pictures to select your gif that are in your files then it should appear. Oh and it only works when you are presenting (when your slides are fullscreen). So when you add your gif it will not play if you are editing. But I would understand if you made a feedback that says to make gifs work when you are editing!

• Emanuel Salas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually the gifs do work on PowerPoint Online if you know how to put them. Btw if you do not know how to add a gif you just download your gif then you go to Insert then click on pictures to select your gif that are in your files then it should appear. Oh and it only works when you are presenting (when your slides are fullscreen). So when you add your gif it will not play if you are editing. But I would understand if you made a feedback that says to make gifs work when you are editing!

• John Durbin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is ridiculous that I can save a slide as a movie and then have to use Snagit to convert the movie into an animated gif. I should be able to export slides with animations into .gif format directly from the Save As dialog or as part of a macro routine in VBA.

To people who create training materials this would be a tremendous help.

• John Durbin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I create training materials. I have a macro that exports slides as static jpg files and the macro writes a text file that is saved as a .html web page. When the .html file is opened it shows each slide with the slide notes to the right of each slide.

If I could save the slides as .gif files then my macro would be creating web pages that are alive.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base