How can we improve PowerPoint Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Support animated GIFs

I use animated GIFs in the desktop version. I would like them to work when I view or share them online.

159 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brian Blaylock shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Durbin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is ridiculous that I can save a slide as a movie and then have to use Snagit to convert the movie into an animated gif. I should be able to export slides with animations into .gif format directly from the Save As dialog or as part of a macro routine in VBA.

To people who create training materials this would be a tremendous help.

• John Durbin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I create training materials. I have a macro that exports slides as static jpg files and the macro writes a text file that is saved as a .html web page. When the .html file is opened it shows each slide with the slide notes to the right of each slide.

If I could save the slides as .gif files then my macro would be creating web pages that are alive.

• C Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What? No support for Animated Gifs in Powerpoint Online?
        Basic stuff that needs to be added now.
        Its bad enough not being able to insert video directly !

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I invented a 'work around' solution

1: Upload the gif to google drive
        2: Open the .gif in 'full screen mode' (google drive)
        3: Copy the URL of the gif without the https://

eg:

drive.google.com/file/d/1MAZ68Y9wQSrOB7T2j1vg5wN2FUha/view

4: Type to change the ending from 'view' to 'preview'

drive.google.com/file/d/1MAZ68Y9wQSrOB7T2j1vg5wN2FUha/preview

5: In PPT, go to insert, find the 'webviewer add-in' (my addin). Once added to a slide, paste the url you've created and you're good to go!

• Manuel Berger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must, as there are almost no tools that cannot display animated gifs properly. You cannot just set the clock 10 years back for something that is so easy to fix.

• Like Eveyrbody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gifs are supported natively in browsers. Powerpoint online is in a browser. Now go.

Being forced into inferior tools because of sunken costs to M$ is just not cool.

• Nazr Irfan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have faced the same issue with GIFs. Client uses office365 products and is unable to use gifs in their Online Powerpoint presentations. The desktop version works fine.

But microsoft should really implement this feature because we are not in the stone ages anymore. Everything is web based.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have added my .GIF image on the power point slide and viewed it. The .GIF file works well. but when i saved my slide on .GIF format from Power point the GIF image is not working. Please let me know how to make my .GIF work ?

• Hilal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very much helpful if you could support working gif images on powerpoint online the way you do on the standalone version of powerpoint on PCs and Macs.

• Brian Weiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. Please add animated gifs! I create very visual presentations for my students and post them online for their review. I use a lot of animated gifs and was sad to see they couldn't see them when they used the online version.

• Bruce Wiggins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Animated GIFs are a great way to show a repeating animation, simply. I them them a lot! Please turn on animated GIFs in PowerPoint online.

• AdminPowerPoint Product Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Oliver, thanks for the feedback. Animated GIFs are not currently supported in PPT Online. It's a common ask and there is an existing UserVoice suggestion requesting it that you can add your vote too.

For higher resolution, we understand in some cases in edit mode the text can appear blurry. For slideshow we don't expect this to be common. Can you provide any more details?

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions.

• OlsD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello my everyone in my company has been forced into using Office 365 products from Google products and I have some questions on how to do certain things

My first question.
        I'm used to having lots of animated gifs on my slides of videos (As I'm an Android developer) for presentations of functionality. I cannot get animated gifs working in PowerPoint online, they won't play automatically or nicely in my slides. Does anyone know how to do this?

Second question
        The resolution on PowerPoint online is very blurry compared the the pixel perfect solution form Google Sheets, does anyone know if there's some kinda special setting to fix this? (It's crappy in full screen mode & edit mode)

Also, just out of curiosity is there better online presentation software that is usable within OneDrive? (As we are locked into that too...)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base