How can we improve PowerPoint for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Enable changing source files of linked Excel charts from Powerpoint

When an excel chart is inserted in powerpoint the data och the chart is linked to an excel spreadsheet.

In the windows version it is possible to change the source file of the linked data. It is not possible to do this in powerpoint 2016 for Mac.

91 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nicko shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even better, embed the excel file into the xml structure the same way media files are handled.

How about allow the excel file to be saved within the powerpoint file so you don't even need to edit links.

• Tracy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So disappointing. Just got an iMac for first time and this is crucial to my work.

• - commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has this ideation topic been open for such a long time? This is a very basic request and very annoying not to have this feature available in Office for Mac! PLEASE FIX

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scott, why do you ignore people's requests like this? It's a very basic one. Disappointing.

Under review for coming up on 2 years now. Any updates from the team, please? And please add Mac support for linking to excel charts, worksheets, ranges etc, just as can be done under Windows.

• Fabian Voß commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real essential feature in reporting and management!

#upvoted

PS: I recently posted and pictured the exact same situation in a longer post on a Microsoft Help Community. Maybe not on point, but possibly useful when (hopefully) fixing that issue soon: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_powerpoint-mso_mac-mso_o365b/office-mac-powerpoint-does-not-update-linked-data/1c601937-0bdc-43e3-8934-2901e362e4fa

I rely on this function, as I produce monthly reports in a 80 page doc, each page slide of which contains multiple graphs. Sometimes I move computers, or the file moves, or the file name is updated to reflect the current year. For each of these I need to update the source file path and name. Please assist ASAP. I'm considering moving back to windows if I have to spend days on this robotic task each month. Thank you.

• Axel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a no-brainer, because as a user you end up in a dead end situation with no other option than starting all over again...

• BryceD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its in PC I believe this should be in the Mac version (I only have access to mac and have to use the XML hack in the mean time)

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should just be able to right click on the chart and change the source data file.

Please YES, give the Mac the ability to link to spreadsheet data & charts. Not having this is like running a footrace with your feet amputated.

• Rohonesh Kar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be very useful to have this feature because then you can have one excel sheet linking to different charts in your powerpoint as against having to maintain multiple worksheets for one powerpoint presentation!

Feedback and Knowledge Base