How can we improve PowerPoint for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Enable changing source files of linked Excel charts from Powerpoint

When an excel chart is inserted in powerpoint the data och the chart is linked to an excel spreadsheet.

In the windows version it is possible to change the source file of the linked data. It is not possible to do this in powerpoint 2016 for Mac.

111 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nicko shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how is this not enabled already, it takes ages to move all my data and formats from one computer to another, you guys dont need that much of programing, is not a big deal to let know power point that you moved your excel file to another location.

• justbeez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a huge problem with this in our team because we have both PC and Mac users. When presentations with linked charts created on a Mac are edited on a PC, not only do errors show on the Macs (one per chart every time the file is opened!!!), the linked charts can no longer be updated.

In order to work around this, I have to decompress the PPTX container, find/replace the mangled link path in the XML .rels, and then re-save/re-compress the file for my coworkers to be able to work with it.

(So there's a second feature request here—the PC version shouldn't flip the direction of the slashes in the Mac links!!!)

• Dan(N) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really frustrated and as I can see this has been reported long time ago and still no ACTION.

Even better, embed the excel file into the xml structure the same way media files are handled.

How about allow the excel file to be saved within the powerpoint file so you don't even need to edit links.

• Tracy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So disappointing. Just got an iMac for first time and this is crucial to my work.

• - commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has this ideation topic been open for such a long time? This is a very basic request and very annoying not to have this feature available in Office for Mac! PLEASE FIX

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scott, why do you ignore people's requests like this? It's a very basic one. Disappointing.

Under review for coming up on 2 years now. Any updates from the team, please? And please add Mac support for linking to excel charts, worksheets, ranges etc, just as can be done under Windows.

• Fabian Voß commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real essential feature in reporting and management!

#upvoted

PS: I recently posted and pictured the exact same situation in a longer post on a Microsoft Help Community. Maybe not on point, but possibly useful when (hopefully) fixing that issue soon: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_powerpoint-mso_mac-mso_o365b/office-mac-powerpoint-does-not-update-linked-data/1c601937-0bdc-43e3-8934-2901e362e4fa

I rely on this function, as I produce monthly reports in a 80 page doc, each page slide of which contains multiple graphs. Sometimes I move computers, or the file moves, or the file name is updated to reflect the current year. For each of these I need to update the source file path and name. Please assist ASAP. I'm considering moving back to windows if I have to spend days on this robotic task each month. Thank you.

• Axel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a no-brainer, because as a user you end up in a dead end situation with no other option than starting all over again...

• BryceD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its in PC I believe this should be in the Mac version (I only have access to mac and have to use the XML hack in the mean time)

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should just be able to right click on the chart and change the source data file.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base