How can we improve PowerPoint for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Fix issues related to language settings

Working in parallel in presentation in several languages, I find the language setting functions in PPT 2016 cumbersome.
- Why can't I simply in 1 click resent absolutely all the text in an existing presentation to another language?
- Why, after selecting all objects in a slide and specifying a given spelling language, the text in smart object still not set to this language ?

Please review and fix.

29 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Benjamin Amsaleg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback and we apologize for any issues that these problems might have caused. Language settings and proofing behavior in PowerPoint for Mac 2016 have been addressed and remedied as of build 16.11.18021400 (released to production on January 14, 2018). We hope this fix will improve your PowerPoint experience.

Remember if there is a feature or fix you would like to see come to PowerPoint, please make sure to vote for it accordingly. The more votes a feature has, the more likely we are to implement it.

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ad3a1c8 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You call this completed? The bug persists! I've just tested Powerpoint for Mac 16.16.3. In a presentation that has languages set for slide layouts including the language of the main text box for example, a new slide created with the layout reverts to a different language. Don't mark this as completed if you've not managed to fix this issue after a whopping 2 years!

We need Powerpoint to respect the object languages set in the master slides. Ideally, all layouts should inherit the language of the main master slide but this is also not the case. We should be able reset the whole presentation to a new language and then all slides should be adjusted.

The current situation is a huge waste of time. Every new slide ignores local language settings and all objects on new slides have to be changed by hand to the new language in order to avoid having all text underlined because Powerpoint is too stupidly programmed to recognize a language automatically which should also be piece of cake.

Fail!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so annoying. Powerpoint still refuses to accept a change in default language and you can only change it after a text is written. Wish you luck if you have to use different punctuation marks in each language. Microsoft, fix this!

• Elmar Jansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Also: Word supports language auto-detection. Why can't Powerpoint do the same? I really need to be able to set 1 default language, but given that I often mix languages (e.g. literal quotes in an academic lecture), it would be great if those languages were detected. If I have to manually set the language for each box, checking the spelling manually is more practical (I've switched spell check off).

• ad3a1c8 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is also no way to set a language for a template. This is an essential features for multilingual users. I guess most of the people making decision work in an English only environment where the issue never comes up. A huge oversight.

• Kiril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge issue and I can't understand why they still haven't done anything to fix it. I almost always have to make slide shows in English, yet PowerPoint consistently sets the language of all my text boxes to the local language (based on the region format in OS X). And I don't even use the local language as a system language in OS X, but PowerPoint (and Word, too) always assumes I do, even though everything on my system is in English.

As you say, the only workaround is to go and select text in each text box/shape/smart art manually and adjust the language 1,000 times. Eventually, I gave up on the idea and disabled Spell checking altogether. To make sure I don't have any mistakes, I review the document in Keynote - not a perfect solution for such a basic thing which should work straight out of the box. If only Microsoft cared about it... but they don't.

Feedback and Knowledge Base