How can we improve PowerPoint for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Data links to Excel in powerpoint for mac 2011

In powerpoint the paste chart options provide for:
1 - paste chart with data linked to Excel (default)
2 - Embed excel file in PPT
3 - Paste picture

I think we need to have two essential features:

First the obvious one:
4 - Paste chart WITHOUT data link to Excel (it is a mystery why this

And since we now have so many inked charts in our PPT files now, we also need a solution (as in Windows) to review, edit and break data links to Excel. Can we really believe this is not in Office 2011 for Mac?

26 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PIerre Lionnet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Will Daley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The difficulty this issue creates cannot be understated. Simply moving your source Excel file to another folder renders all the data in all the charts you have created and pasted into PPT un-editable. Unless they are perfect, you need to recreate them all from scratch in Excel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same to me. I am using Office Pro Plus 2016 on Mac OSX. This is announced as a professional software tool for companies. Why doesn't the data links to Excel update automatically like in the Windows version of Powerpoint 2016? I think this is a key-feature for professional working with data and presentations. In OpenOffice on Mac OSX it is realized very easy with an OLE connection. Why is Microsoft not able to do it as well?

• Ingmar Eidem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pasting charts or pictures into Powerpoint 2016 Mac using VBA results in timeout msg telling you that "updating is still going on in Office.." which is wrong. It breaks the execution of the VBA and results in: VBA for copying charts from Excel to PPT impossible!!

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My comment may be similar to the above (however, I have Office 2016). I would like to see the identical ability to link information from Excel to a PowerPoint slide which exists on a Windows PC version of Office. The absence of this feature is a real problem for me with the type of work I perform. Currently, I'm forced to carry two laptops (my MAC and an older Windows laptop) since I really need this feature. If it doesn't come out in an update soon I'll be forced to return to using just a Windows machine. (If this capability exists but I simply haven't found it - PLEASE let me know.)

• john commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when aré you gong to fix Spanish check in Pwp 2016 for Mac, we have been waiting for 8 months, like smooth fonts in non retina displays and possibility to select individual slides as in PWP 2011. However, despite these ideas have been highly voted you do not consider them and pay attention to this one which has gotten 3 votes. You should be fired for not fixing real problems.

Feedback and Knowledge Base