How can we improve PowerPoint for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Enable gridlines

My son says that in windows based powerpoint he can enable the grid. This helps him place his text frames easier so that it can fit any type of screen. If not, a person can design their slides and then view the on a screen that won't show the edges. I couldn't find this option on the Mac. He said that it looks like the slide is in a graph paper form.

51 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! This functionality already exists in PowerPoint for Mac 2016.

To more easily align objects on a slide, you can snap your objects to vertical and horizontal guide lines that run through the slide. You can also use dynamic guides—lines that run through the center of other objects and the center of the slide and appear when you drag an object—to align an object relative to another object.

To turn snap to grid on or off: Click View > Guides > Snap to Grid.

To turn dynamic guides on or off:Click View > Guides > Dynamic Guides.

Hope this was helpful! Please remember to continue to vote for the features you’d most like to see in PowerPoint for Mac.

- Emily [MSFT]

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt Pecevich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your product managers are wrong with this one and their choices are making the mac version dramatically inferior. Please add this feature back.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In 1986, MacDraw had an adjustable, scalable and visible grid. Not to provide this in PowerPoint in 2018 is absurd. What kind of Power doesn't let you visualize and draw accurately. WeakPoint if you ask me.

Typical - We don't like you doing it your way thinking. Why smaller competitors slowly make headway and will ultimately defeat PPT.

You are only give one vertical and one horizontal line. thats not a grid. Why would you remove such a useful tool?

• Man-Mohan Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most disappointed after a forced move from Windows to Mac - I can not control the grid spacing!!! If nothing else, can you please explain the rationale behind it.

Please add gridlines back. The answer from the admin is not actually answering the question. Snapping objects into alignment with dynamic guides is useful, but does not completely replace the functionality of gridlines.

Please restore the gridline functionality, it's an absolute mystery why you would remove a helpful feature that is obviously used by many people. It takes more effort to remove the feature than it would have to just leave it in. This is bizarre

This post from "Emily [MSFT]" is a non-answer, and this query cannot properly be described as "Completed."

Neither dynamic guides nor snap-to-(invisible)-grid are what the parent post asked for. The request here is to SHOW the grid.

Please explain how to SHOW the grid in recent versions of PowerPoint for Mac (I have 15.37), or explain why Microsoft inexplicably removed this feature that many people evidently want (and that used to be present in older versions of the software).

Please, please!! Would love a grid that can be used as a baseline for setting type and aligning objects. Even better if that grid has the option to be custom configured to point size.

• Cat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add back the gridline feature as soon as possible. It is critical for those of us on a Mac.

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How the hell do I vote?

I want gridlines in the Mac PowerPoint

How on earth was this not included?

• Bai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely ridiculous decision to remove grid line... why newer version of Microsoft office get worse and worse? is there any benefit for doing this? ...

• Jay Stallard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this feature all the time. You don't make Viso for Mac or I would divert to that but even then that is an unnecessary step that can easily be avoided by adding gridlines back into the tool.

A grid has so much more utility than the guides. I am really puzzled by the features removed form PPt and Excel versions for Mac.
        Is this some type of anti-Apple punishment? If so why not get over it and make then equal in function.

WHY NOT??

• chris huth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OH MY GOD! the office suite is the LEAST intuitive consumer facing software. NO GRID!?!?!...oh wait no, there was a grid option and apparently still is a grid for PC users but not for mac...?

Dynamics Guides are not a replacement for a document grid !

"Snap to Grid" isn't useful unless the grid can be adjusted. Furthermore, the grid isn't even visible !

So much graphic work in this world is based on a 12-column grid, and this takes an inordinate amount of time to set up manually with Vertical Guides. Albeit a time-wasting pain, it's easy enough to calculate the widths of the columns and the gutters between them, but dragging Vertical Guides to the precise point on the X axis is almost impossible — even while holding Command (⌘).

This problem was solved years ago in Adobe InDesign: just take a look at Edit > Margins and Columns — it's quick and easy to set up, so no need for you to invent anything new !

Please ...

Seriously as a designer using this product I am beyond disappointed. Learn basic design principals before you remove something so critical!

PLEASE! re-enable the option of making GRID lines visible and adjustable in PowerPoint 2016 for MAC!!!!!!!! I had to dig out an old computer and use an old version of PowerPoint in order to do my job! Office 2016 for MAC is a complete waste of my money without restoration of this function!!!! Why in the world would you take this option out of the new version?!?! I absolutely cannot do my job without this function - and I loose many other upgrades when I have to use an older version! "Snapping" my object to guides do not meet the needs I have for my presentations... I need adjustable GRIDlines!

I see that this string registers as being solved but IT'S NOT SOLVED!!! Grid lines (not guides) need to be visible and adjustable. Sometimes, I need 1/8" x 1/8" and sometimes I need 1" x 1". The reduced functionality for Mac users is ridiculous.

Please return the display grid (not guidelines) to Powerpoint for Mac. I regularly used this feature. It is much easier than using guideline if you have a number parallel items to line up.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base