How can we improve PowerPoint for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Customize Presenter View

Presenter View is an essential tool of Powerpoint helping us present with notes, a timer, a preview, and a slide overview. But many things remain to be improved. Join me in pushing for the following essential features and bug fixes.

1) Allow customization. Not everybody needs the same things from the Presenter View. Allow users to activate/inactivate elements to their needs.

2) Create a couple additional widgets for the Presenter View that fit less frequent user requirements like a countdown timer to end at a specific time, a slides left counter, a centralized notes field to be saved with the 1st slide of the presentation rather than a specific slide. Add your own suggestions in the comments below.

3) Sections are a great tool to segment a long presentation. Alas, they are hidden in Presenter View. You have to improvise with a blank slide to highlight where sections end. It would be so much easier if they were shown for example by a colored line between slides in the slide overview at the bottom of Presenter View.

4) As you advance through a presentation the current slides will be shown as the rightmost slide in the slide overview. That is the wrong position. When in a presentation you want to see what lies ahead. The slide overview should always be centered on the current slide, showing the next couple of slides without having to scroll.

5) Reduce the amount of unused screen real estate. Why the huge black areas? More of this should be used to enlarge the elements currently present in the Presenter View.

6) The first line of the notes fields is not shown by default. It should be of course as it is the most important line. It's silly to have to scroll up to see it every time. See this bug report: http://bit.ly/2eFvdXk.

78 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ad3a1c8 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! The PowerPoint for Mac team is reviewing your suggestion and will consider it in future planning rounds.

Remember, this site helps us to prioritize our backlog so the more votes a suggestion gets, the more likely it is that we’ll do it. If this is a feature that is important to you, be sure to give it a vote!

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bruno E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"3) Sections are a great tool to segment a long presentation. Alas, they are hidden in Presenter View. You have to improvise with a blank slide to highlight where sections end. It would be so much easier if they were shown for example by a colored line between slides in the slide overview at the bottom of Presenter View."
        THIS

• Jeff Harter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix the first line in presenters view. First line is always hidden and you have to scroll down to see

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to re-order slides in presenter view by drag-and-drop the thumbnails would be very useful.

I heartily agree with Anonymous below. I use an iPad Pro in class with the new PowerPoint for Mac and having the Thumbnails at the bottom of the screen means that I am continually inadvertently selecting another slide. Very frustrating for me and my students.

• RKB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish there was a way to add text to slides during a presentation - since PowerPoint 2016 for Mac got rid of the Developer tab and I don't know how else to make it work!

• Raylene Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow presenter view to have the option of speaker notes either below or beside the current slide. In the last version, the speaker notes were below the current slide, but in the latest version, the speaker notes are beside the current slide. I would like the option of moving the location of the speaker notes in relationship to the current slide;

• Joe Whiteis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow multiple output presenter views like Keynote on Mac. For instance, for a machine with multiple video outputs, ONE output would display ONLY speaker notes full screen (with a "fit content" option like other text boxes, and ANOTHER output would show ONLY the current slide with a Next slide preview, or something like that. While the MAIN output would show the actual presentation.

Need to see more slides ahead than the ones behind. In presenter mode, make the standard position for slide playing be second from left instead of second from right

• Scientific wine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current slide number is indicated as 1/30. The denominator include hidden slides. Until the last version, hidden slides were not included in the denominator and I can tell how far I come in the whole presentation.
        I am wondering if there are any good reason for the change.

• Scientific wine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the presenter's view we can see the current slide number out of the total. Now the total slide number include unshown slides. Until the version 2013, unshown slides are not included in the total presenting slides. When I present, I would like to know how many more slides I have to present.

• Conor Watters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would help Graduate Students who's instructors send them massive amounts of Voice-Over PowerPoints (VOPP) to take notes while they are listening to the VOPP! It is very frustrating that currently if you click on the Presenter Notes while listening to a VOPP, the VOPP playback will stop and make you play from the beginning again! Please, pretty please, make this simple change!!!!

• ad3a1c8 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Presenter View is buggy. Due to an oversight in the programming the first line of the notes is always hidden in the default Presenter View. This significantly worsens the usefulness of the feature as the most important text is usually in the first line. It should of course be displayed by default.

I recently installed Mac OS Sierra. Now, when I give a presentation and use Presenter View, the words are always shifted down. I must push the up arrow key so that I can view the first line of text.

• Bob Jones, MVP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 suggestions for Presenter View:

1. Enable toggling the thumbnails on/off and/or have them automatically collapse unles positioning the pointer at the bottom of the window, and

2. Put the Next Slide below the Current Slide allowing the right portion of the window to be dedicated to Notes.

• Bob Jones, MVP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just in case you hadn't noticed, you can drag the horizontal line that separates the Notes pane from the Next Slide pane & you can drag the vertical line that separates them from the Current Slide pane. The size of the Current & Next slides will automatically scale accordingly.

• B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the older versions of powerpoint, the "presenter view" allowed the presenter to adjust the size of the slides as viewed on the presenter's computer. With the latest version, the size of the slide is fixed - and SMALL. This is devastating to people like myself who are visually impaired and have been using powerpoint in professional settings for many years.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base