How can we improve PowerPoint for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Add support for SVG and icons

Allow ability to insert and edit scalable vector graphics (SVG) files into your documents on Mac. I used to be able to insert .emf files and then ungroup them into shapes which I could edit. It's very frustrating that there is no option for this now on the Mac.

448 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of April 2018, Insert Icons and SVG support are now available in Office 2016 for Mac.

To insert an icon in Office 2016 for Mac: Go to the Insert > Insert Icon. Scroll through the icons or jump to a category by clicking the name in the navigation pane at the left. Choose an icon and then click Insert at the lower right. Insert multiple icons at the same time by clicking each of them before clicking Insert. Use the Graphics Tools ribbon to rotate, color, change style or resize your icon.

To insert an SVG file in Office 2016 for Mac: Go to Insert > Pictures > Picture from file to insert your SVG images.

Anything else you’d like to see in PowerPoint for Mac? Don’t forget to vote for the feature on UserVoice – we use this feedback to help us prioritize our backlog. The more votes a feature gets, the more likely it is that you’ll see it in our product!

61 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Microsoft you need to sort this problem ASAP, to be able to edit the SVG files with the 'Edit Points' Tool or to be able to use the SVG like you can in Powerpoint on PC where by this can be transformed into what you call a 'Shape' then us mac users can use the svgs as place holders for images, or edit the shape (as in edit the shape outline). Currently you allowing SVG shapes isnt really that great as you could just import a EMF before which is the exact same. Pitty you powerpoint developers dont know people who use powerpoint professionally n a mac otherwise you would be working with people in my industry (which you arnt) clearly the developers for powerpoint for mac really dont have a grasp on the consumers, whch is why your product is failing. not impressed is an understatement. please have a look at adobe programs to try and get upto speed on word processors and vectr images and what tools are on the market, i feel like im living in the 2000's when using your program

• Judy Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't find the option that allows you to insert an icon (SVG file) in either the desktop version or the web-based version of PowerPoint 2016 for Mac. Am I missing something? I have the latest update for PowerPoint 2016 for Mac.

• Kiran Bhat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update. Still if we paste vector directly from AI to slide in paste special "paste as a vector or SVG" option is missing. and also I can't ungroup the vector objects!..Not a big deal. hope in feature you guys will add the same.

cheers,
        Kiran

Why is this marked as completed? I can't ungroup the vector objects!

In previous versions we could import .emf files and ungroup them to edit them, why was this functionality taken away?

To achieve this now I need to use Open Office, import an .emf file there and 'break' it, then save that file as a Powerpoint file. And THEN I can open the file in PP and edit the graphic. This is mental and wastes time.

• Mark Tang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not seeing this option in my version of PPT, (16.12) and there are no updates, what am I missing? Also if you can't ungroup and edit the colour of the graphics once you've imported them, then I would consider this a FAIL!

• Joe Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Appreciate that svgs can now be imported but not sure this can be marked as completed. The feature request includes "and then ungroup them into shapes which I could edit". That would be absolutely golden - please consider this. Most stock photo sites provide an svg format and being able to ungroup, would allow changing colour, shape etc... PLEASE consider adapting :)

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not seeing an Insert Icon in my PowerPoint. Version 16.13 (180505).

Am I missing something?

It is extremely frustrating that those of us using Macs have to wait months and sometimes years for equivalent functionality. Are you able to provide an update for when this functionality will be available.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok...the new feature is not at all what we had expected. You can't ungroup and treat the SVG on mac as you could with the icon feature in PC

PLEASE make this work. I see the updates say you can now add svg on mac ppt but when I try (after updating and with a subscription to office 365 home) it is still now working?!! Incredibly frustrating not to have compatibility...

It is really hard to believe, that a software which runs on two (more than two, if we look at mobile apps) platforms is not the same on both of them. It is even harder to believe, as PowerPoint is the major presentation platform.

And on top of it, i cannot understand, that a function that worked porperly (integrating PDFs) is no longer working – neither on macs nor on pcs.

Please do not forget Mac-users – integrate proper vector-functions in PPT for mac, so that we are not forced any longer to use oldschool (and large) image files.

'Allow SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic) image files in PowerPoint for Mac 2016'

I use both Microsoft office 365 2016 on both PC and Mac depending on the platform used by the clients I am working for. Sometimes I have to work on a presentation in both PC and Mac and it would be way more efficient if the features were the same in both versions! I know I cant be the only user to be constantly switching between Mac and PC. Some of us have no choice and must be flexible. but it is frustrating when the software is not as flexible as I need it to be. The Icons feature is a fantastic addition and I make very good use of it...in my PC. But when i have to swap back and forth between both computers in order to use the icons feature, it is tremendously frustrating.

Was just listening to a keynote speech about how well Nadella & Microsoft have focused on supporting the Mac platform ... Would like to see simultaneous roll-out of new features for both platforms

Any idea how long it takes for this update? :(. Going forward please develop and release updates along with windows version for Mac too. Everyone regardless of Windows or Mac OS is using powerpoint. Such things really makes our work hectic. Thank you!

• James Mackenzie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. And for Word, too. Would especially like to be able to use illustrator’s small size svg export for logo templates.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base