How can we improve PowerPoint for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

When exported to pdf, all images in slides have grey outline

Recent issue I've noticed: Whenever I export my ppt file to PDF, all of the images I have included in the powerpoint have a grey outline around the image. It does not happen to any shapes I may have built in the pdf, only uploaded images.

27 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aerica shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike Leber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suffered from this nearly a year. With the current April 2019 update this problem finally seems to be solved.

• Mark Jackson-Weaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found that if the png is exported from Illustrator, as opposed to Photoshop, it doesn't have this issue. Don't ask me why, but it fixed it for me!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this or I’m going to have to find a different publishing solution.

• xxh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm experiencing the same issue here on mac. Temporary fix for me is to plot white rectangles on top of external figure's edges. It can cover the grey line when converted to pdf. Yet still hope the issue can be permanently fixed asap.

• Sonny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this seems to fix the problem. Change screencapture to JPG instead. Launch terminal and type in the following

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type JPG

• Sonny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, what I do is changing the border of the picture to "white." It'll reduce about 75% of the gray outline but not completely eliminating it.

Same issue.
    How could a business software being so struggled and no staff reply to this issue for such a long time?

Same issue. Updated to Mojave, have ppt for mac v16.21 and the images are blurry and there is a grey outline around each image. I need this resolved ASAP...can't use ppt on my computer for my publications.

Same. Offering a non-fully functionally product on a platform is poor form and simply unacceptable. Please address this issue.

• AndyG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has also happened to me, recently updated to Mojave then had issues with PPT crashing after which then noticed very poor rendering of images when printing to pdf. Completely uninstalled/reinstalled PPT and still same problem.

• Chip Schug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Spoke with a MS rep and he mentioned that the functionality of PPT on mac is limited (not like the version on a PC) and therefore some issues will be experienced.

This is not right as I have the same issue with 'greyed' out slides going from Mac to adobe (pdf) and am using Mojave as well.

Please fix ASAP as I should not have to send PPT to a PC to convert to a grey-less pdf!

Same. I just updated my Mac to Mojave and have PowerPoint 16.17 installed ... I had downloaded Acrobat and just deleted it to see if that would fix the problem, but nothing. PLEASE HELP ASAP!

Feedback and Knowledge Base