How can we improve PowerPoint for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow .gif to be inserted as a "movie" again (like in ppt 2011)

In ppt 2011, a gif could be inserted as a "movie". So, I could edit if I wanted the gif to be played "on click" or "automatically" and whether it should "loop", "rewind", "play full screen" and so on. There was no need to go to a third party website and edit the gif itself, and I could decide WHEN the gif would play. For example, only play "on click" after I discussed the slide's content first. It took a couple seconds to click these options and move on to the next slide.

On ppt 2019, the only way to insert a gif is as a picture. For this reason, the only editing options are under "picture formatting" which does not allow me the option to decide when and how the gif will play.

Ironically, if I place the gif as a "movie" on ppt 2011 and then open the file with ppt 2019, it shows as a movie file and allows me the ability to choose when and how it plays. So, this tells me it's possible... I don't understand why this changed. It is such a GREAT feature and super disappointing that it's harder to do with newer software.

I use a LOT of .gif instead of movies because they are typically a smaller file than a movie, yet keep the audience's attention better than a plain picture.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mariec1028 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →