How can we improve PowerPoint for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Embed online content besides YouTube, such as Vimeo, Wistia, Facebook, and Stream

It would be so helpful to have the option of embedding videos from other sources other than just YouTube. One great source is Vimeo and it typically doesn't contain a bunch of annoying ads. For example, I want to show a particular video that is only on Vimeo and is not on YouTube. So, I need to find a workaround for this and try to make it look like a video playback as much as possible. Thank you for the consideration.

443 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

118 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we are trying really hard to use Microsoft as our platform and it is hard when we can not insert videos from streams into Powerpoint. BTW, when inserting a video from Streams into Powerpoint there needs to be an option to select if it should play from live link or download the file for offline playback.

• Tracey S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was able to get my Vimeo and Vidyard videos to play within PPT when I used the "Web Viewer" Add-In (which I think is free) for PPT. Insert > My Add-ins > Web Viewer (after you go to Insert > Store to get the Web Viewer add-in.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it interesting that I can't embed a video from Microsoft.com's tutorials into their own product, PowerPoint.

I nominate Microsoft Stream as top of the list of online sources that need to be supported!!!!

So, We can embed videos from YouTube in PowerPoint but cannot embed a video from Streams? Microsoft cant even talk to it's own products? This seems like an easy fix to me

Echoing the ridiculousness of offering the feature but not supporting embedding Office Video.
        The lack of this feature necessitates extremely large PPT files, which greatly limits usability.
        Please tell me someone is working on support for embedding Stream videos... This needs to be addressed soon.

• Timothy Kroeger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keeping video in the Microsoft family of products would be essential to be able to embed Stream video into a PPT slide deck

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's seriously ridiculous that I can't embed files from my OneDrive Business account! Seriously? Please give us the option to embed any file we have saved on OneDrive Business!!!

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Having more options like Vimeo and Facebook seem obvious; however not integrating with O365 Videos (SharePoint) automatically is very confusing. Videos has an embed option, yet copying that embed code into PowerPoint fails to embed. Makes very little sense. Appreciate this be fixed.

The way PowerPoint currently allows embedding of videos is completely backwards. Enterprises primarily use PowerPoint, not consumers. The fact that the only content hosting platforms that can embed video into PowerPoint is YouTube or OneDrive Personal is the opposite of what is needed. Enterprises need the ability to control the content on the hosting platform. We should be able to embed videos from Microsoft Stream or OneDrive for Business using the same account we log into PowerPoint in Office 365 ProPlus.

• Andy Plant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is laughable. Powerpoint needs to embed 365 video. I'm struggling with any argument against it being completely expected as part of the 365 suite. Come on Microsoft...collaborate!!

• Mike Mansfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company uses Vimeo for Business to securely host our video assets and serve them securely without ads. YouTube does not offer this level of service. We are finding that we cannot use Microsoft PowerPoint because it limits video embedding exclusively to YouTube. Is there some agreement between Microsoft and YouTube that is preventing other professional video hosting sources? Is there any chance that Microsoft will allow other source in the near future? Or should I plan to find an alternative to PowerPoint?

• James Carr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazing that the likes of Vimeo (which is what companies use not YouTube!) Office Video, Stream etc cant be used in powerpoint 2016 - the ability to embed videos from these professional video services is surely a must, and not youtube!

Also need to support 360 videos!

Tons of reputable sites now run videos that do not use YouTube. As others have said, Vimeo would be nice, but why not allow embeding from many major sites that have embed codes for their videos? A few examples would be Wall Street Journal and Fortune Magazine, both of which run great videos but have embed codes that Powerpoint cannot use.

• Candi Ingram Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I perform weddings and a lot of the videos are on facebook. I need to be able to put into my PowerPoint presentation for doing wedding venue open houses.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base