How can we improve PowerPoint for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Reinstate export handouts to Microsoft Word

In older versions of PPT (prior to Windows 10, PPT2013 and prior) the function Export Handouts to Microsoft Word worked beautifully. Not so much since these latest upgrades. PPT sends an error message that simply isn't fix-able. "PPT cannot write to Word". The 'HELP' isn't helpful (technicians do not understand the issue and have no reasonable suggestions to overcome it). "Community" offers many suggestions, none of which overcome this. Very frustrating to lose this capability.

10 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pam Proctor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Works so poorly, it's almost impossible to complete an exporting task of more than 5 slides. Needs fixing ASAP. Seeing all the comments below makes me very pessimistic about it :/

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem. This bug needs fixing. It is more than three years since this was posted, so I guess nobody at MSFT cares. But I'll leave a note just in case.

• Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Never works, either does none or some pages and then comes up with the message 'PowerPoint could not write to word' well great that's not very helpful now is it. Everything is up to date etc so i don't know whats going on!

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can I not export handouts of the slides only? I want to export as 2 slides per page with no notes but am unable to do this even though you can print this option

• Naomi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you convert into Word you cannot work in the document in Word. This there a way around this.

• Moss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once the powerpoint slides via create handouts appears in word, how do you remove slide borders, and make slides appear as text?

• Jason Owens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see why PowerPoint doesn't offer the simplest of features: The ability to print 3 slides on a page with the notes (that show up below each slide on the screen--or to the right in .ppt presenter mode) shoiwng up below or next to them.
    Having me go through Word to make this happen is just another hoop to jump through--and a flaming one at that: I've gotten burned because each slide shows up with the notes fine but with the left 60% of the slide perfect and the right 40% blank.

• Tim Collard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear MSFT, this is the one most frustrating problem we deal with. We are a church that exports 100+ slides weekly. Could you do a longer routine to stop the memory issues something like 1. take a copy of the ppt, 2. reduce picture size 3. export the content, 4. format the word document. Do things in stages, and commit and clear memory in each step? There is a company called Great circle learning that sells a solution called George. It's not exactly what we need, but they are able to do a similar function with no incident. I do think you should do a problem analysis and fix this. Perhaps you have some new crack trainee coders that are looking to solve a long term problem. Each version release I hope then get disappointed that this problem remains. Go on, take this suggestion up your problem team. Don't ignore it. Today is the day for action :)

• Gordon Weir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I'd like to export text only from my ppt files, as in OCR scanning from a book. I don't want to import slides as "objects" on my word doc. I want text from my ppt files on my word doc that is immediately able to be processed. ?? can it be done??

• Chris Willsher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have struggled with this feature for many years and never found a satisfactory solution that works. There are lots of "work arounds" on the web but none can be said to be reliable. It is about time that MS got this issue sorted.

• TM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Al exportar las presentaciones a word no todo se exporta, es decir no esta el texto completo y tambien seria conveniente que las imagenes tambien se exporten con el texto

• JS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need function of export as slides only without notes

• DLH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inability to create handouts from PPT is a big loss. While I've been able to accomplish this for work items for my employer (think major network with deep resources), I'm not able to do this from my home office for even the smallest, simplest of presentations. I do have a reasonably beefed up system. Just how big does your computer processing ability need to be to use this feature that used to be flawless? It would be nice if those stats were posted.

I agree, the clumsy workaround is not acceptable. With over 72 slides in a single presentation, being expected to accept a suggestion of 'combining word documents' to get a complete handout document is unacceptable.

Poorly done, Microsoft.

It does not have export as a handout I am trying to convert a power point project to a word document

• SergeyA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Выдачи не работают, так как надо. Заказал в Power Point 6 слайдов на одной странице, а при экспорте в Microsoft Word эта настройка никоим образом не учитывается. Странно это всё, т.к. в старых версиях Microsoft Office в операционной системе Windows XP всё прекрасно работало.

the only option I have for "handouts" is to print (as a pdf). I am not offered a "send to word" dialogue box, nor a "handouts" in the dropdown menu. VERY FRUSTRATING

The function does not export equations, but my slides are full of them.

The equations show up perfectly when printing the outlines. And they can be copy-and-paste into WORD via clipboard. It appears that the simplest thing to do is just to automate the process of selecting everything on a slide and paste it into WORD.

• ST commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of all the handout options offered, you do not offer the simplest -- export the slide so that it is a full page. Yes, appearing on its side when you open a book in portrait mode. Given the number of people who design their slides poorly and crowd them with words, you could easily accommodate them and let them make a handout that is easier to read than assuming the only correct 1 slide/page option is the smaller image with "notes" space below. Again, trust Microsoft to neglect the simple stuff.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base