How can we improve PowerPoint for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Font Substitution Issues

Let's say you use a non-standard font, and that is any font that is not commonplace within PowerPoint or the Windows and Mac operating systems.

Next, open this presentation with the non-standard font on another computer which does not have the font installed, and PowerPoint provides no info regarding the missing font. In fact, it just uses another font to display the same text.

Why does it do so? There are multiple problems here:

1. The recipient has no clue that one font was substituted with another.

2. The font used as the substitute font cannot be identified.

3. Worse, open the presentation on two systems that don not have the font. PowerPoint will then choose two different fonts on those systems. Are we understanding this behavior pattern?

I've written a workaround to identify the substituted font at http://www.indezine.com/products/powerpoint/learn/textandfonts/find-substituted-fonts.html -- but then this is not the solution!

27 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Geetesh BajajGeetesh Bajaj shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem all the time. I design slides for my courses and when I am delivering them in my client's premises I normally use their equipment and computers which, of course, don't have some of the fonts I used. If I only use them for titles or in a few instances then I usually convert them to images. But that is not the solution!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base