How can we improve PowerPoint for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Picture transparency

Hi! Please add a feature to adjust the transparency of pictures as a whole.
This is a quite useful feature when creating master/ presentation sildes.
While you are at it, could you add a slider to the "Picture Tools"-tab to adjust the transparency of a picture?

ATM, you actually can adjust the transparency of a picture, but the process of doing has too many steps and is really uninuitive.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Make-a-picture-transparent-CE96AC80-5AFC-436C-AE3F-0C78009BF704?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

133 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Santtu Ojanperä shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we improve PowerPoint for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

• Philip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this a difference between PPT for Mac and Win? Because I don't remember it being this hard using Powerpoint for Mac.
        Please add this option, if you can insert an object into a slide, it should not be necessary to embed it within another object just to edit it's appearance.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to make a picture of my signature on transparent background - to insert as an object over the text in MS Word

• drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best way to do this is a simple hack I discovered: place the image that is intended to be opaque on your slide. position the image that is intended to be transparent in front of that opaque image. From there select the transparent image and start to resize it slightly. This will make the image around 50% transparent. Then with your left mouse button still adjusting the size of the picture you can simultaneously take a screenshot which will capture the transparent image over the opaque image.

• Michele Jones, PMP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm confused as why people can't do it. I add an image and then make it transparent under formatting, artistic effects (at bottom of the second section with shadow, reflection, glow, etc.). Pick any from the drop down examples and then use the scroll bar to see and choose the desired percentage of transparency.

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should be able to select any shape or picture and have a transparency option. Also, it is quite handy to group objects (photos, vector shapes) and have the ability to make them transparent as a group (meaning they wouldn't individually impact each other).

Adobe suite products have had transparency options for years. It's 2018 and PowerPoint still can't handle transparency?

I'm not sure why this setting was taken away. The worst part to me about having to put the picture inside the shape is that you lose all the formatting capabilities you get with inserting a picture file, like cropping and color correction. I'd like to be able to make the picture transparent and do things like this at the same time.

That is a bit circuitous just to make a picture transparent. you have to insert a shape then add a picture to the shape, then remember the option to find transparency down in Fill -> Picture or texture fill. Also there is no option to lock the aspect ratio of the image so when you resize the shape you can easily change the image aspect ratio. In google docs you simple right click on the image and transparency is right there in the image options with brightness and contrast. I would recommend putting transparency for an image in a similar location (i.e. picture corrections next to brightness and contrast).

The current method is unnecessarily complicated, and there is no way I would have figured it out on my own.

Come on, Microsoft... it's little things like this that make alternative office software products look more and more appealing.

• anaïs van den heurck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why make a new version and removing a basic option as transparency of a background picture ? this is ridiculous and makes working with powerpoint not efficient at all ! you're looking for a basic feature that existed in the previous version and you loose so much time to finally discover that it no longer exists !!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base