How can we improve PowerPoint for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

change units from inches to pixels

Please give the option to change the units (globally) from inches to pixels - way more useful to think that way with a digital-only presentation.

24 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott Benson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that in many dialogs where you're entering dimensions, you can include the units you prefer to work in: 1 gives you 1 inch, but you can also enter 96px to get pixels or 2.54cm or ... you get the idea.

• LisaJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Inches were great in the 1990's when we had to print our presentations and PowerPoint pretty much only supported text and a little media.

Since then the world has evolved. We now email our decks or share them on our screens or post them on our Intranets. Print? Pssht. The package has also evolved. There are several new featured designed for the digital world that we can't take full advantage of without doing some sort of crazy inches > pixels + DPI conversion.

Intended or not, I've seen PPT used for much more (and more frequently for) tasks other than presentatations, like wireframes, storyboards, newsletters/communication, and to create icons / infographics. All these things relate directly to digital vs. paper.

Ability to see / set properties by inches AND pixels, Yes please!

• Alwyn Balingit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know this is doable, because PPTools has a paid plugin that can do it.

This pixel unit should be native to PowerPoint.

We use PowerPoint a LOT to create pixel-perfect screen mockups, but we have to always calculate based on a 96 pixels per inch ratio.

Feedback and Knowledge Base