PowerPoint Feedback by UserVoice

PowerPoint for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the PowerPoint for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! We love hearing from our customers . This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of PowerPoint ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy,including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas,copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

🛠 🐞If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then“Send a Frown” in PowerPoint. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem. 🐞 🛠

1. NDI output support for PowerPoint

I'd like to recommend a feature to be added to the PowerPoint application. NDI is a high quality, low latency professional video IP format that I think would be a good addition to this application. I would allow you to share the output of PowerPoint on other peoples computer using a free NDI Monitor application or send the output into professional video production solutions.

The Skype team at Microsoft has added NewTek NDI support into their product. PowerPoint would be the next product that I think should be enhanced with this royalty free technology. You can learn more about NDI…

522 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

126 comments  ·  Charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add options to optimize the screen recording in PowerPoint

It would be great if you can implement customize options for PowerPoint screen recording to optimize the screen resolution of the recording file in order to reduce the data size of the recording file smaller than the current size.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Triangle shape with rounded corners

It's so hard to manually make a triangle with rounded corners.
    We already have rectangles with rounded corners, why not have rounded corners for the other shapes as well?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make It Possible to Set Defaults on More Functions

I need to be able to easily and permanently set default page size (e.g., "letter") as well as a default font (and associated attributes such as Bold, Color, etc). At present there is no way to do this. I have to set them each and every single time I create a new document.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Co-authoring in the PowerPoint client

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    PowerPoint クライアントでの共同編集について
    Co-authoring in the PowerPoint client

■Description(内容):
    現在、共同編集が可能なPowerPointのファイル設定は ".pptx"のみ で、マクロ付きファイル ".pptm"などは、共同編集不可となっております。

※以下、参照。
    https://support.microsoft.com/ja-jp/office/ee1509b4-1f6e-401e-b04a-782d26f564a4?ui=ja-JP&rs=ja-JP&ad=JP

利用状況によっては、マクロ付きファイルの共同編集を行う機会もございますため、マクロ付きファイルの共同編集も可能とする機能の拡張を希望します。

Currently, files which can be co-authored are limited to “.pptx” files, but files with macros are “.pptm” files, and as such cannot be edited in this way.

See below:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/document-collaboration-and-co-authoring-ee1509b4-1f6e-401e-b04a-782d26f564a4?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Depending on our usage, there are times when we would like for users to be able to co-author files with macros, so please make this possible.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow to permanently disable the export of Meta-Information while exporting a PDF from Powerpoint

When people in my company export PPTs as PDF Files the default setting is to include non printable information, in this case the "document's properties" and the "Document structure tags for accessibility" boxes are checked.
    The result is, that if you open the final PDF-file, the title is shown as "Power Point Presentation", instead of the file name in the upper left corner.

Please include the option to permanently uncheck these boxes. Currently it has to be manually unchecked every time a PDF is exported and is a constant source of errors, since the exported PDF-file can only be altered…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Default options for line and letter spacing that make sense

RE: Add line spacing options to tighten line

This issue was marked as done but it really hasn't been implemented smartly in my opinion.

Though you can now set other values through the new dialog 'More spacing' and 'Line spacing options' the defaults options are still really strange.

Would make much more sense to have something like:

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Dynamic reuse of slides

I very frequently reuse slides from other decks but the current reuse by copy model doesn't work for me because there's no way to check whether the slide has been updated by the owner. Ideally, when I reuse a slide I would like it to maintain a link to where I got the slide from and if it is changed, change it in my deck as well. Or at least prompt me to flow the changes in the original slide through to my deck.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Embed video search from Microsoft Stream

You should be able to search and pick the video you need from a window inside PowerPoint. Find your video a get the option if this should be a link or embedded "compressed" into the PowerPoint.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Dark theme

Can I have a dark theme

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Unit of Measurement Options (i.e. pixels, inches)

It would be awesome if the base application spacing weren't restricted to Inches / Centimeters. There should be an option to set the baseline unit of measurement to pixel-based formats.

This would extend to things such as slide padding, grid density, item formatting options (border thickness, padding, margin). PowerPoint has the potential to be an amazing wireframing tool, but without the inherent support for app-based layouts, it makes it difficult to explore more robust ideas.

Please give the option to change the units (globally) from inches to pixels - way more useful to think that way with a digital-only presentation.

276 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. pen size

i would appreciate if pen size can change in presentation view and there must be some key boardshort cuts available to change pene color

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make the chart formatting independent from the Region & Language settings

PowerPoint uses the language defined in the Region & Language settings of Control Panel to format chart and graphs. This means that if a French presentation is opened on an English computer, the French formatting is lost and reverts to English. Commas get converted to periods, spacing is lost and, worst of all, dates are displayed in the wrong language. This results in presentations that look unprofessional and riddled with mistakes through no fault of the author. There needs to be a way to set the default language for a presentation and/or force the formatting to be displayed in that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Paragraph styles

It's really time consuming to set up text styles and have everything look consistent.

Also I often create templates for clients and they cannot manage to apply the same style to the newly added texts as powerpoint makes it really difficult for them...
    This then usually ends up in a compromise of still having it look acceptable and being set up so simple that they still can use the template...

Would be great to have paragraph styles similar to Indesign or MS Word.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Configuring how total number of slides is displayed on slides (ex. 1 of 10)

PowerPoint allows me to insert slide numbers. I'd like to be able to have it worded as "2 (of 12)", "3 (of 12)", etc.

Feature variations:
    - #
    - # of #
    - slide # of #

Ability to not show count on hidden slides.

1,956 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

575 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow the option to change default pictures folder in PowerPoint

Unlike Word, where we can change the default pictures folder for users, there is no such option available in PowerPoint. I have noticed making changes registry also does not have any effect in latest versions of PPT. Please allow this function, as it would benefits a lot of companies to direct their users to go directly to a folder with all brand approved images from within PowerPoint (just like in Word)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Autosave safety blanket

This has come up a fair few times in our company, we use O365 in conjunction with OneDrive and sometimes the Onedrive/SharePoint autosave doesn't actually save changes/create a new version.

It would be great if a snapshot copy of all presentations could be kept locally on close if the user didn't save it (a confirmed valid save).

This would also help us with people working for ages on something and accidentally closing it without saving and thus losing all their work. The snapshots could be cleared out daily/weekly as set by the user/group policy.

This would provide users a place…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Powerpoint Show - Pen function only works in full screen mode

I would like to be able to use the pen function when using powerpoint show in a window. As of now, the pen function only works in full screen mode, which limits me using other programs/chats simultaneously.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow certain slide elements to be protected

Allow individual elements of a slide to be protected from edits. This could be text boxes, fields in a table, objects, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

PowerPoint for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base